The 1893 Chicago World's Fair proclaimed the Colonial Revival style and Neoclassical architecture as the wave of the future, and examples of this scaled-back response to Victorian excess began to appear in Chula Vista by the turn of the century. Although the style was less popular locally than Spanish and Craftsman architecture, a few notable structures survive.
21 F Street (1896)
This New England colonial was built in 1896 for Reginald Vaughn, and may have been designed by the English architect Charles Z. Herman, who with his wife, Minnie, owned and operated the Herman Hotel on the south side of the street. Vaughn landscaped the extensive grounds with a variety of trees and shrubs before selling the property to Sarah and Hamilton B. Clark, a journalist and former president of United Press International. The large wing and two-tier porch were added later, possibly in the late Teens or early Twenties. (That end of F Street was a busy spot in the 1920s, with the construction of: a Prairie-Style house at 20 F Street on the site of the Herman Hotel, which burned down in 1913; a row of one-story Spanish-style homes; and, in 1928, a surprisingly modern ranch at the northeast corner of F Street and Hilltop Drive.) Harold B. Starkey, who with his father, John B. Starkey, had founded Bay City Building and Loan in 1924, purchased the house in the 1930s and lived there for many years with his wife, Augusta, an accomplished musician and socialite. In 1934, Bay City became First Federal Savings and Loan, the first federally chartered savings and loan in San Diego. The Starkey House is designated as Historic Site No. 9.
62 Cook Court (1912)
Maxwell and Hazel Goes Cook moved to Chula Vista from Chicago in 1911 and, after purchasing five acres at the east end of G Street, built this New England Cape Cod home in 1912. The Cooks may have brought the Chicago weather with them: Chula Vista temperatures dropped to the single digits in January 1913 followed by searing heat that September. Undeterred, the Cooks planted their property in citrus trees the next year and eventually held about 100 acres of land on Chula Vista's eastern edge. Hazel was president of the Mutual Orange Distributors for several years and served on the Chula Vista school board from 1922 to 1972. The house, which now stands on a half-acre lot, has been extensively remodeled and expanded to about 3,400 square feet. It still has its wooden shingle exterior and curved gable dormers; a two-story addition links the main house with the former carriage house. The Hazel Goes Cook House is designated as Historic Site No. 20.
124 Hilltop Drive (1928)
Leo Christy came to Chula Vista in 1911 and purchased several acres on Hilltop Drive north of E Street, where he built a small house and planted a citrus orchard. He soon married Floy Melville, daughter of Lucy and Edward Melville, a building contractor who in 1920 founded the Chula Vista Building and Loan, which eventually became Imperial Savings. (The 1926 Spanish-style Melville building at Third and F, which housed Security Pacific Bank, is Chula Vista Historic Site No. 31.) Leo and Floy built this two-story Colonial Revival house in 1928 on the site of their first home, and it is unusual in Chula Vista for its Dutch Colonial roofline and rounded entryway. (Another house in the Dutch Colonial style, dating from 1914, stands at 210 Sea Vale Street.) Leo was a rancher, and Floy served as president of the Chula Vista Woman's Club in 1925. The Leo Christy House is designated as Historic Site No. 25.
20 Second Avenue (c. 1926)
Colonial Revival architecture drew from the classical elements of Greece and Rome, and this symmetrical two-story house is one of the best examples from the 1920s. Built around 1926 for James and Rose Barrows, the house features a curved portico with Tuscan columns over a stately front door and fanlight. The stepped-back addition on the left is the result of a later remodel. Barrows, who lived in the house only briefly, was the city tax collector. The Rose Barrows House is designated as Historic Site No. 63.